(FMCSA) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration designed a physical and mental exam for joining a commercial motor vehicle company. It is necessary to get a DOT physical certificate for a commercial driver because it assures the driver is fit for commercial driving.
If you are going to be a commercial driver, your company may ask you about for DOT exam. It is a health examination that is mandatory for all commercial drivers. It will determine that you can safely drive a commercial vehicle. DOT physicals are for those drivers who drive,
- A vehicle that carries more than 8 to 15 people.
- Vehicle that has a gross weight of about 10.000 or more pounds
- Vehicle for hazardous material transportation should display a warning placard.
A DOT exam includes different parts include
- A vision test
In a DOT exam, your doctor checks your eyesight. They may ask about prescription glasses if
you wear them.
- A hearing test
A test doctor will check your hearing ability with or without equipment in a hearing. You should
be able to hear a whisper around five feet away.
Through urinalysis, the doctor will determine any underlying health condition.
- Blood pressure/ heart rate
Blood pressure monitoring will help determine that you can fit for an extended drive period.
- Physical examination
In DOT examination doctor does a complete physical exam that includes,
– Lungs & Chest (breathing)
– Neurological (balance, reflexes, speech)
– General appearance (weight, drug/alcohol problems)
– Abdomen & Organs (unusual masses, hernias, weakness)
– Vascular System ( blood flow, varicose veins, weak pulse rate)
– Limbs (Loss or damage, weakness)
– Mouth & Throat (breathing and swallowing)
– Skeletal (limitation, tenderness)
Vaccines Include in DOT exam
The doctor may ask about some vaccines in the DOT exam include:
- Influenza (Flu)
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Polio/ Tetanus/ Typhoid
Detailed health history
The doctor also may ask about your medical history include,
- Any surgery you had in past
- Medication you take
- Alcohol/ drug/ substance use
- Any other medical condition you had
Do I repeat the dot physical every year?
Suppose you don’t have any serious issues like low/high blood pressure or other conditions
affecting your driving ability. Your DOT certificate is good for two years. But if you experience
some health issues, you can receive a one-year or three-month certificate according to your
DOT exam is about the physical examination of (CMV) drivers. We determine that a driver is
mentally, physically, and emotionally fit for driving a commercial motor vehicle through DOT.
Make an appointment if you need a DOT examination.